Saturday, 31 October 2009

Pistachio Dining at Torrens, Canberra

At the site where Pinocchio's Restaurant used to be, Pistachio Dining is a reletively new fine dining restaurant with rave reviews on Eatability

It was a busy full house the night I took my mum, and they were nice enough to inform me of this prior to confirming my booking, telling me that there were going to be big groups and it would probably be quite noisy, asking if I minded or not, which was really thoughtful, in case I was planning a romantic dinner or something (which it wasn't so it was fine!)


They even had a cute Pinocchio in a cage up the top area of the bar - a relic from the previous restaurant I'm guessing!

Pistachios were a good way to sate the hunger while waiting for entrees, garlic and herb bread and:

Seared scallops with herb gnocchi, butternut pumpkin and crisp sage leaves

Moving on to mains, I was so disappointed to find that the previous chicken dish which sounded absolutely delicious, had been replaced by a simpler (less impressive) sounding dish

Delicious plump scallops which I used to mop up the pumpkin and sauce, herb gnocchi was really good as well!

Seafood pie - salmon, prawn and scallop pie with verjuice cream and chervil

This was a cute and yummy take on a pie - with a juicy hunk of salmon, and other seafood piled on a crispy pastry base
Beef - grain fed beef tenderloin with bone marrow dumpling, saute spinach and mushroom ketchup

To be honest, I wasn't a massive fan of this dish, it wasn't as good as the other dishes of the night. This just could be due to the fact that I'm not a massive meat eater, and the chunk of meat was bigger than I expected. Wasn't a fan of the spinach either - should have ordered the rib eye with potato gratin in hindsight (oh well! next time!!)

And the best part of the night...

Dessert tasting plate - small serves of every single dessert on offer

L-R

Terrine - mango daiquiri terrine with lychee and mint salad and vanilla sago
Mousse- dark choc mousse with poached cherries and Tia Maria creme
Pannacotta - yoghurt pannacotta with mixed fresh berries and glass biscuit
Pudding - warm caramel pudding with pistachio ice cream
Eton mess - passionfruit jelly, meringue, madeline and vanilla creme

It was all delicious!

The service was fantastic as well, very attentive and friendly (cute waiter doesn't hurt either)- I don't think our water glasses were ever close to empty, they were very fastidious about making sure they were filled.

Great prices as well, so I'll definitely be back! I'll probably order a few entrees instead of a main next time though, as the entrees seem more appealing, but maybe they'll change the menu soon? It seems to change quite often.

Pistachio Dining
3a Torrens Place,
Torrens ACT 2607

Phone: (02) 6286 2966

Opening hours

Lunch Wed-Fri 12:00-3:00pm
Dinner Tues-Sat 6:00-10:00pm



No comments :