Monday, 21 December 2009

Gus' Cafe, Civic - Canberra


One of Canberra's oldest cafes, Gus' Cafe is the good old trusty meeting place to have coffee. I have fond memories of this being a favourite high school hangout due to it's proximity to the games arcades nearby.

Perfect for comfort food, the menu has barely changed through the years (god, I feel old now!) and my favourites still include the foccacia fingers - warm thick slices of bread topped with melted cheese, sweet chilli and onion (chicken optional) the potato wedges and warm chicken salad. So good! I've also taken to the pumpkin and potato salad which is very good as well.

But this Sunday, I'm here for the breakfast.


Busy as always - it takes a while to actually get noticed by the staff

Perusing the familiar menu

My must have drink - Watermelon Kiss, a yummy concoction of watermelon, mango, pineapple and coconut


Eggs Benedict with hashbrowns and breakfast sausage - the eggs were a bit overcooked but the hashbrowns were good!

Garema Centre
Shop 8
Bunda St City 2601 ACT
Gus' Cafe on Urbanspoon

10 comments :

Kitchen Butterfly said...

I love waermelon drinks...though I'm allergic to pineapple!

mademoiselle délicieuse said...

Wow, look at that overflowing drink of summer sunset colours! Loved Gus' when I was last there and the husband keeps raving about it too =)

LePetitMacaron said...

Omg, that watermelon kiss looks sooo delicious! I'm going to look out for it now!

Porcelain Blonde said...

Dear god, your blog always makes me SO hungry!
That watermelon kiss looks soooo good...

I love your AH dress in the post below, you look gorgeous, I adore the frothy layers <3
(I was a bit naughty and indulged at AH recently too!)

Merry Christmas honey!

Ohh, I just found out I hadn't linked you when I thought I had - me bad! - so am off to link you now, hope that's cool :)

<3 xxx

bowsnhearts said...

Yum! Yum!

I might be heading to Canberra for 1 day to get some paperwork done!

My chance to visit this place!

missklicious said...

Kitchen Butterfly - aww, that's a shame! I think watermelon and pineapple is such a good combo

mademoiselle délicieuse - Gus' is a bit of an institution in Canberra!

LePetitMacaron - Yes, the Watermelon Kiss is so good! Very refreshing for summer.

Porcelain Blonde - Thanks lovely! Merry Christmas to you too, and thanks for the link!

bowsandhearts - Ooh, day trip to Canberra! When will this be?

Anita said...

The watermelon kiss sounds perfect for the hot weather we are having. Refreshing and tasty - I think I'll have to try and make myself one.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That looks great and that Watermelon Kiss is a drink that is just begging to be made at home! :D I hope you have a lovely Christmas and a Happy New Year! :D

bowsnhearts said...

I will probably be visiting February. Got to get paperwork done! For 1 day! Lol...

missklicious said...

Anita - Yes, do let us know if you make one at home! I'm sure it will be fantastic!

NQN - Merry Christmas to you too! Hope you have a lovely Christmas & New Year (sure to be filled with lots of delicious food no doubt!)