Sunday, 31 January 2010

Guylian Belgian Chocolate Cafe - The Rocks, Sydney

After the traffic ordeal, I was totally unenthusiastic and didn't feel like doing anything. What better way to recover after dinner? I had a quick browse at the Rocks Markets by Moonlight and they were quite small and unappealing as most people were there for the food stalls.

The chocolate menu

Smack bang right next to the markets is Guylian Beglian Chocolate Cafe so it was fate. The walk from Chinatown to the Rocks after dinner worked up a bit of an appetite for dessert (as if I ever need a reason, I have a seperate stomach for dessert)

Decisions, decisions! The beautiful display of cakes galore.

Since it was late, they were missing a few options but I still had a bit of trouble picking!

Pretty red candles and table number with the signature seahorse.

Alot of things on the menu caught my eye, so I'll definitely be back to try more.

They even have a high tea option during Monday-Thursdays 3pm-6pm, has anyone tried this? I would love to try it, but pity they only have it on those weekdays!

Lemon Torte - Lemon cream, lemon gel & ganache, hazelnut roulade layer with genoise sponge

Visually very bright and pretty - it was quite tart with relief in the form of the cake inside. This was my cake, and now that I think about it, I don't know why I picked this whilst dining at a chocolate cafe? It was nice, but not amazing.

Pretty lemon torte

Opera My Way- Chocolate cream mousse, espresso butter cream, layered with hazelnut dacquoise & chocolate sponge

Decadant- a chocolate lover's paradise!

91 George Street
The Rocks NSW 2000
Ph: (02) 8274 7500

14 comments :

Porcelain Blonde said...

Oh babe! *drools* So jealous! Can't wait to try this next time I'm in syd.
I'm crazy for Guylian seashells so I would be in heaven here.
Lucky you! :)

<3 xxx

annoiii said...

Oh these look yum! I've never tried the Guylian Cafe as I've always opted for Lindt Cafe and Max Brenners. I'm definitely going to give these a try:D

katthroatworld said...

*drools* omggggg. yum!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love the way they plate the cakes at the cafe and it looks like they change the cake selection too which is good! :)

mademoiselle délicieuse said...

I still haven't been yet! Mostly because I'm not usually in The Rocks area...must make a point to try soon.

C'est moi, Cecilia ♥ said...

aw i'm totally with you! im hating the 'way tooo hot' weather!
and thanks dear! :)

also i have three words for this post;
i love chocolate.

xo!

Audrey Allure said...

it looks absolutely scrumptious.

love your blog! :)
- Audrey Allure <3
http://audreyallure.blogspot.com

Lily said...

oh you are teasing now! i haven't even had breakfast yet, my stomach is grumbling like hell after reading this *drool*

Every time i go past that place i always wanted to go in but always end up taking a detour @ pancakes then coming out full :(

oh how is the pricing for this cafe?

Ladybird said...

Yumm! I love this place. Those desserts are to die for. They make awesome drinks too :) I love their iced chocolate

I didn't know they had a high tea -I would really love to try it (if not for work 5 days a week - d'oh!)

missklicious said...

PB: You'll have to create a list of places to eat in Sydney! You'll definitely love it then, they have a whole menu of Guylian pralines!

annoiii: This is the first time I've tried it too. I tend to go for Lindt Cafe the most, but since I was at the Rocks, I couldn't resist!

kat: hehe, can never resist chocolate- It's so good!

NQN- They sure do make them look pretty on the plate. They had quite a variety of cakes too, which was great, but made it so hard to choose!

MD: I tend to not venture to the Rocks much either but went down there to check out the markets (which were pretty dissapointing)

Cecilia: I love chocolate too!

Audrey Allure: Thanks hun. Checking out your blog now!

Lily: Haha, I always find it torture reading food posts when I'm hungry, especially when I'm at work and cravings can't be satisfied.

You should try it out! It's quite expensive though. Most of the menu is on par with Lindt Cafe, the cakes might be a bit more pricey (around $13) so definitely a once in a while treat!

Ladybird: Must try out the drinks next time. I wanted to try everything but couldn't fit it all in. Hehe

I'd love to try the high tea as well, but shame I have work too. Might finish early one day and race in before it ends. Or there's always public holidays!

panda said...

guylian has opened for awhile and I still haven't been! it's so out of the way for me but gosh, the desserts look delicious!

SK said...

Great food but pricy! *sigh* Wish I could afford more chocolate from there.

neversmileatacrocodile said...

OH MY! In my ignorane, I didn't even know that there were Guylian cafes!! Arrr to die for!! Hey, loving your blog. I'm a Wollongong girl, so I venture up into Syd from time to time!! Must try some of those places you've mentioned mmmm foood :). Especially chocolate!

xx Deb

Betty said...

the desserts here are so pretty :O)