Friday, 21 May 2010

Din Tai Fung - World Square, Sydney

I'm finally getting around to trying places that I've heard about and wanted to try for a long time - Din Tai Fung is one of them. This place doesn't need any introduction, with worldwide branches & it's army of workers making dumplings. I went for an extremely early dinner after a day of shopping in the city, and the restaurant was already full, with a line. At 5:45!?

It was only a quick wait of 10 minutes, as they are so quick and efficient


Glossy menu with pictures (yay! I'm getting used to this picture menu thing)

I wasn't that enamoured by the offerings on the menu - dumplings & noodles were a must, but other than that, I didn't know what else to order - anyone recommend?

Guide to enjoying Xiao Long Bao - their speciality


Lychee and mint drink - should really have been MINT and lychee - It was extremely minty with just a touch of lychee. Not a fan, but that's because I can only handle so much mint... It tasted like mouthwash to me, but mint fans should go for it!

Perfect xiao long bao - yummy!

Prawn & pork dumplings - these were OK

Chicken cutlet

Preserved vegetable & pork noodles (dry) - This looks quite bland, but the noodles saved the day - so deliciously smooth and tasty!

Can't go without dessert - fried taro bread - nice, but I think I prefer red bean as the taro lacked flavour

Overall, it was good, but I think I was expecting something a bit more from all the rave reviews! I miss my trashy fried dumplings (ala Shanghainese style) too. Anyone recommend any dishes to try at Din Tai Fung?

Din Tai Fung
644 George St
Sydney New South Wales 2000
ph: (02) 9264 6010

3 comments :

mademoiselle délicieuse said...

I was a little underwheled or overexpecting when I first ate here as well. The dumpling wrappers are precision perfect but I can't say they're the best dumplings I've had. And LOL at that super green drink of yours there!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Yeah we prefer the XLB at Shanghai night although the pastry is really nicely done here and they're a bit more perfect looking with the pleats. The mintiness of the mint and lychees sounds way too overwhelming for me too!

missklicious said...

md - The dumplings are perfect, though I would hope so with that massive crew of dumpling makers! And agree, it is underwhelming, especially my radioactive green mint drink =P

Lorraine - I'll have to get myself to Shanghai night!