Saturday, 8 May 2010

Jazushi - Surry Hills, Sydney

The promise of live jazz whilst you eat is a fantastic concept, and I've wanted to try Jazushi since forever. It's tucked away in Surry Hills, a few minutes walk from Central station and it feels like the hustle and bustle of the city disappears.

At first glance, the restaurant feels very cosy and it's quite noisy, not because of the jazz, but because of the chatter of tables filled with mostly groups and some couples.

Having looked at the menu previously online, I had an idea what I wanted already (Hello, camembert tempura!)



Edemame to munch on whilst perusing the menu - quite a nice touch!



4 grilled scallops with Saikyo sauce - I really liked the sauce on this one, tasty but not too rich with the addition of asparagus and tomato - the only let down were the scallops which weren't the best - overcooked perhaps?



Spied this on the menu and knew I had to try it - yummy deep fried batons of cheese with a creamy teriyaki dipping sauce, such a naughty and filling dish, but oh so good!




I loved this dish! It was on the specials menu, and was fried chicken rolled with bacon, greens and a tartare sauce, sounds strange but was so tasty!

The slice of lemon the chicken was placed on gave it a nice citrusy tang



Seared sushi platter - really fresh and awesome sushi

Dessert was a bit of a letdown, as I thought they would have some more exciting options. We chose the dessert platter where you choose 3 options from the dessert menu:



My choices for the dessert platter- vanilla creme brulee, green tea creme brulee & chocolate cake



Chocolate cake with a drizzle of honey - nothing spectacular



The creme brulees were nice - a satisfying crunch of toffee and smooth brulee. The green tea was very flavoursome and full of green tea flavour, unlike some places where you can hardly taste any green tea

Dishes come out one by one, so sharing is a must (which I like and always do anyway) 

The jazz was a nice touch, but it's probably not a place to have proper conversation as you have to practically yell to hear each other.

I'd definitely go back to try more of the menu, sans dessert.

145 Devonshire Street cnr Clisdell Street
Surry Hills 2010
Ph: (02) 9699 8977
Direct reservation: 0417 406 928

3 comments :

mademoiselle délicieuse said...

Haven't been here for possibly 5 years? Was a bit confused at the time with its French-Japanese fusion but agree that the live music is a nice atmospheric touch.

prettyprettyyumyum said...

interesting re: desserts! the sushi and the chicken dishes look divine though. i've never been to jazushi but have always wondered about it...

missklicious said...

md - Wow, 5 years! I guess there's so many good restaurants in Sydney that the others tend to get left by the wayside.

I agree that some of the dishes were a bit hit and miss, but I liked that it was a little bit different.

pretty - I wish they had a better dessert menu, as they do have potential for it! I've always wondered about it for ages too, as I've been meaning to try it for a while and finally got around to it!