Sunday, 28 November 2010

Flying Fish - Jones Bay Wharf, Sydney

It was such a nice sunny day last Sunday, perfect for a leisurely lunch on Jones Bay Wharf at Flying Fish.

Perfect weather and view, can't ask for much more!

All the wait staff were lovely and friendly - especially our waitress who was very attentive and explained all the dishes very well - I had a hard time choosing my dishes as there were quite a lot of dishes that sounded amazing

Although I don't usually like filling up on bread (less room for delicious food!) I couldn't help but slather on more and more of this delicious butter. Sooo good.

The bread was good, but merely a vessel for that fantastic creamy butter

One of the Flying Fish speciality cocktails - this was very good with blood orange and grapefruit

Hawkesbury river calamari with flat beans, chive flowers, cuttlefish ink & chilli 

I have to say I wasn't totally impressed when this dish was brought out, but I tried a bit of the calamari and it was fantastic, so tender and the flavour was spot on.

Seared yellow fin tuna with ruby red grapefruit, sweet crackling
pork & black pepper caramel 

I couldn't go past the tuna dish for my entree, even though I was considering the seafood tapas too. I decided to go with the signature tuna dish with the promise of that sweet pork crackling, this dish definitely didn't disappoint. 

Pan fried Murray cod with sweet corn veloute, speck, 
braised daikon & basil 

My main dish and one I really enjoyed - the Murray cod was perfectly cooked with deliciously crispy skin and worked well with all the flavours

Cape grim grass fed tenderloin & braised short rib with orange 
& cardamom carrots & burnt onion soubise 

Beautifully presented, although I didn't try any as I was too busy enjoying my dish, and wasn't too interested in trying beef at a renowned seafood restaurant

Side salad and hand cut chips

Yummy perfect batons of hand cut goodness <3

Another cocktail - this time with pear and lychee, sorry the names escape me and they don't seem to be on the current wine list that is online at the moment

Even though I was stuffed, I couldn't resist dessert and a coffee

Banana soufflé, coconut praline & lemon semifreddo

The souffle was full of banana flavour and amazingly fluffy, and the creamy yet tart lemon semifreddo really help cut through any richness of the dessert

It was freakin' amazing. Enough said.

Petit fours - which included a lovely peanut butter and jelly truffle on the left, amongst a few other goodies


I loved it - Definitely one to re-visit for a special occasion - I'd love to try the tasting menu!

Pier 21 
Jones Bay Wharf Pyrmont

4 comments :

mademoiselle délicieuse said...

Those chips look pretty fantastic! And is that black truffle butter?

Lily said...

my god look @ that dessert! yum!

Tina@foodboozeshoes said...

Mmm... how good does the meal look?! I've always wanted to go Flying Fish, maybe I need to hint harder... lol

missklicious said...

Rita - The chips were amazing, and black truffle butter *drool*

Lily - I wish I'd had room for the dessert platter, all the desserts sounded fantastic

Tina - Definitely! It's amazing food and great views