Tuesday, 28 December 2010

China Red - Bourke Street, Melbourne

After a long day of Melbourne shopping, something fast and simple for dinner is definitely on the cards.  Heading into Chinatown, China Red, a Shanghainese/dumpling place, catches my eye, and we decide to try it out - it looks tiny from the outside, but there's also a downstairs section which means the restaurant is actually quite big.

They have touch screens too - which I much prefer as you can decide on what to order at your own leisurely pace

Fried radish pastries - these were nice inside, but way too oily on the outside, even for me! It was to the point where oil was oozing out and it was almost soggy from it

The restaurant was busy even on a Tuesday night (it was a public holiday though!)

My coconut and mango drink - very nice, packed with lots of mango

Xiao long bao

And they had a whole range of tasty asian desserts too - this is the mango sago, packed full of mango pieces. Yum!

China Red
6/206-218 Bourke Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Ph: (03) 9662 3688

2 comments :

Katie said...

I went to this place when I was in Melbourne for the MotoGP this year and it was fantastic! I love the Xiao long bao (although I never knew them by their chinese name!) and will definitely go again next time im in Melbourne!

missklicious said...

Katie - We literally just stumbled across this place when having a peek through Chinatown. A great find!