Thursday, 24 February 2011

Sushi Hotaru - The Galeries Victoria, Sydney

So on a regular trip to the bookstore Kinokuniya, I noticed that the old Made in Japan space had been filled, by a sushi train place and made a decision on the spot to try it out.

I'm always wary of trying out new sushi trains, as I'm in love with Makoto and will always compare it!

I stick with the safe looking choices - this one is tuna and corn and is quite nice

Grilled salmon - only OK, I prefer Makoto's version, but Sushi Hotaru were having a all sushi plates $3 opening special, so that was pretty awesome

They also had a range of drinks - this one is called Pink Lady, it wasn't as nice as I expected, but I'm keen to try the other drinks next time, can't remember what was in this one! 

Potato mentai salad - this was great, creamy potato salad atop really fresh salad, I loved this!

These are their side dish plates - the non-sushi dishes, which is such a great idea, almost like a japanese tapas - these were all $3 too

Wagyu beef

Chicken namban sushi

Chicken karaage

Sushi Hotaru
The Galeries Victoria
500 George Street
Sydney NSW 2000

Sushi Hotaru on Urbanspoon

2 comments :

prettyprettyyumyum said...

Haha I went there recently too, partly because of their location near Kino and because of their super cheap opening specials... My fave was the blow-torched salmon sushi with cream cheese inside. But I agree that Makoto is probably better sushi...

missklicious said...

I think they get most of their initial customers because of Kinokuniya! Hahah if it weren't for them, I wouldn't have even know this had opened up.