Tuesday, 12 April 2011

The Sydney Morning Herald Grower's Market

This was the first time I've actually made the effort to get up early and go to the Sydney Morning Herald Grower's Market.  Boy, I'm so glad I did! Best market ever.

I'd heard about it a few years ago, back when the Good Food Month first started - I was still living in Canberra then, but since it's only on until 11am, it was a struggle for me to wake up back then, now I'm usually up at 6:30am (damn you full time work and body clock!)

The skies looked gloomy but held back the rain.  I actually got there pretty late, around 10am, but it was still very busy. There were so many stalls to explore, it's definitely like a bigger and better outdoors Eveleigh markets, shame that it is only on once a month.

 I bought a few things from Kei's Kitchen - including the almond miso and teriyaki sauce - which has inspired me to do a bit more cooking at home

Bought a bag of the most delicious unwaxed gala apples from this stall

Also bought a few pastries:

Almond croissant

Apple galette

Almond and pear tart

And the best banana bread ever! I brought it in for morning tea at work and everyone loved it! The guy manning the stall was so friendly too, and very generous with the samples. Actually, everyone was super friendly and helpful which was great.

I also bought some super fresh salad mix and Poacher's Pantry ham which sorted out my lunch for a few days.

I'm having market withdrawals now. It's a bit depressing going back to dreary supermarket produce. 

6 comments :

Corrina said...

Yummm, those pastries look delicious!

Pink Penguin said...

Yummmy I want to check this out now! <3

Tina@foodboozeshoes said...

The galette lloks great. Sounds worthwhile getting out of bed for :)

cryskay said...

i love farmers markets! they always have the best food! xx

Miss Vodka said...

Yum! Looks good

missklicious said...

Corrina - They were pretty good. Can't go wrong with an almond croissant!

Pink Penguin - You should check it out next month. I can't wait!

Tina - Definitely worth it :)

Cryskay - Totally agree! Everything is so fresh and tasty, plus the stallholders are great, so enthusiastic and friendly about their produce

Miss Vodka - It was all very yummy :)