Sunday, 24 July 2011

District Dining - Surry Hills, Sydney

After hearing so many great things about District Dining, I was so excited to try out this Sunday afternoon and it definitely lived up to my expectations. As a small eater and generally wanting to order one of everything on any menu I see, I love the concept of sharing a couple of small dishes, and really like the flexibility that they have here - as in you can mix and match tapas sized dishes, entrees and mains to your heart's desire depending on your appetite.

Was so keen we got there just before they opened... love the colourful 'street map' painted outside the doors!



So many of the cocktails sounded delicious, I had a hard time picking one!! I ended up choosing this kiwi one, and it was amazing - jam packed with kiwi fruit and just the right amount of alcohol

As for the food, we chose 2 tapas sized plates, 2 entrees and 2 desserts to share:

Prawn toast with soy mayonnaise and District chicken wings with chilli caramel

These chicken wings were SO GOOD! Crispy on the outside and that chilli caramel sauce *drool* 

Prawn toast were good too - they reminded me of thai fish cakes... but better (anything with mayo is bound to be good!)

Seared scallops, jerusalem artichoke, crispy pancetta, prune

Can't go wrong with big fat juicy scallops...

Crispy courgette flower, Kervella goats curd, truffled honey - I really enjoyed this one too, the flavours worked really well together - I wish it was bigger though because it was so good!

Dark chocolate brownie, macadamia brownie and white chocolate ice cream - this was warm, decadent and perfect for this cold weather. I loved the crunch of the macadamia brittle!


I had food envy seeing all the other delicious dishes that came out for the other tables (hello, crispy school prawns and steak tartare!!) I will DEFINITELY be back to try them all!

17 Randle Street
Surry Hills NSW 2010
Ph: (02) 9211 7798

District Dining on Urbanspoon

13 comments :

aelie said...

Great photos! I went to District Dining not long ago and had a great time, the food is amazing x

mademoiselle délicieuse said...

Have seen lots of photos of their food but think perhaps this is the first time I've seen a pic of their cocktails - and that kiwi one looks great! But I am biased as I like tart things =p

Julie said...

omfg those chicken wings looks to die for! another trip is needed!!

retrodaze said...

I really think we are on the same food wavelength because I was planning to try District Dining soon! Thanks for the post. I'm debating whether to try District Dining first, or the pub around the corner which Grab Your Fork revealed to be serving District Dining food. They both look good!

minibites said...

mmm yum! I've cooked with Warren Turnbull before and made prawn toast, I'm glad it's still on the menu, it's deliiiiicious!

MissPiggy said...

I'm going here in a few weeks - I've been invited to a birthday dinner and I am SO excited! We're getting the banquet so it will be a chance to try loads of food. I already know though I'll be going back for a 2nd visit - I just have a "feeling" I'm going to LOVE it!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I'm crazy for prawn toast and that one looks really good! :D

Vivian - vxdollface said...

it's midnight and looking at your pics of the prawn toast and wings are making me drool :P

Lizzi said...

This looks phenomenal! Must add it to the 'to-eat' list for next time I'm in Sydney!
And I LOVE the street map design too!

sugarpuffi said...

loveeeee district dining! although food tends to come out a bit slow. the chicken wings looks awesome

Megan said...

wow this looks so yummy! i love surry hills will have to keep this place in mind.

missklicious said...

aelie - I have to agree, I thought the food was amazing too.

Rita - I want to go back and try more of their cocktails, they sound delish!

Julie - Indeed! Take me with you :P

retrodaze - Oooh, you must try! Try them both haha

minibites - I loved the prawn toast. It was like an amazing love child of a really good thai fish cake and prawn toast. SOO good.

MissPiggy - Can't wait to see the photos!!

Lorraine - It was fantastic!!

Vivian - I'm craving them right now :/

Lizzi - Yes, add it to the list!! And the mural thing was very cool.

sugarpuffi - My food was pretty quick cos I was there super early as soon as it opened!! haha

Megan - Let us know how it is!

Adrian (Food Rehab) said...

I was there last week when I was down in Sydney for work. I loved it! We ordered ¾ of the menu LOL

Most memorable was the crispy pigs ears, the crème brulee with poached mandarin and the lamb rump.