Friday, 19 August 2011

Quay Restaurant - Circular Quay, Sydney

Ok, so I'm lagging behind a little with this post. In my defence, I've been kind of busy lately with my new, very fun hobby - salsa! I've been practicing my very beginner moves at the various salsa nights they have around town, and also planning my overseas trip which I'm leaving for in 2 weeks (!) Jetting off to Hong Kong and then from there - Europe, excited is an understatement!!

Anyway, I digress...

  Back in the beginning of June I took a spontaneous weekday off to dine with the lovelies sugarpuffi and idreaminchoc at the much hyped Quay


I never get tired of the beautiful view of the harbour bridge, and it's still nice on this semi gloomy day

Cocktails were promptly ordered - I could get used to this weekday boozy lunch thing...

My cocktail - Quay Butterfly

Amuse bouche - blue fin tuna loin and red garnette, eggplant puree, dashi jelly 

Round one of bread - yes, I slathered on the butter as you can never have too much butter :P

To be honest, nothing stuck out as being amazing - not sure whether this is because it's been hyped up so much that expectations are unreasonably high, or because there are so many more fantastic fine dining restaurants in Sydney at more reasonable price points...

Miss B's first dish - Sashimi of sea scallops, smoked eel flowers, apple, organic crasnes, horseradish, sorrel shoots, virgin pine kernel oil

This dish was so delicate and almost too pretty to eat with the beautiful flowers


My dish - Southern tuna, toro, pink turnips, jamon de bellota, juniper, wasabi flowers

Miss J's dish - Mud crab congee, fresh palm heart, Hand shelled mud crab, Chinese inspired split rice porridge

Poached King George whiting, winter melon, lettuce heart, kale, native angasi oysters

Slow cooked coturnix quail breast, pumpernickel and ethical foie gras pudding, walnuts, quinoa, truffle, chestnuts, milk skin

Gentle braise of black lipped abalone, pearl oyster, rare breed pig, shitake, native sea parsley, ginger scented milk curd, earth and sea consomme

Bass groper, young vegetables, smoked butter, fennel pollen, white carrot cream, pea flowers

Berkshire pig jowl, maltose crackling, prunes, cauliflower cream, perfumed with prune kernel oil

Wagyu beef special - I thought this resembled a Gaytime ice-cream

Complimentary salad - a healthy addition to the meal

Snow egg - Guava and custard apple snow egg

Quay's Eight texture chocolate cake


I like the cool glasses the coffees came in!

Petit fours

Overseas Passenger Terminal
The Rocks, Sydney NSW 2000
Ph: (02) 9251 5600


Quay on Urbanspoon

3 comments :

Gianna@TheEmptyFridge said...

I just sigh everytime i see how beautifully presented the delicate dishes are - i'll visit one day soon hopefully!

missklicious said...

Gianna - They are beautiful, aren't they? Looking forward to the post :P

Corrina said...

The food looks gorgeous, great pictures! Those desserts, wow! Hehe at the beef gaytime lol.
x