Sunday, 22 January 2012

Alio Restaurant - Surry Hills, Sydney

On Monday night, I had dinner at Alio to celebrate the lovely vxdollface's birthday.  Alio were kind enough to let us use her free birthday degustation in conjunction with the vouchers we received during the cooking class.

Degustation time - I was starving by this point so I was really looking forward to the meal ahead.

But first things first...

Cocktail list

Pumpkin soup - served in a cute little cup, this creamy and flavoursome pumpkin soup was a lovely start of what was to come. 

Mixed marinated olives and 40 month old aged Regianno Parmigiano 
Garlic and rosemary foccacia - this was the same one as was made in the cooking class, and it was fantastic.

Pretty mocktails 

Free champagne for everyone! (to celebrate V's birthday which was a lovely touch)

My cocktail - can't remember the name of this, but it had elderflower in it

Espresso martini - I tried a sip of this and it was delicious! 

One of my favourite dishes - organic chicken liver parfait with crostini. I couldn't get enough of this, slathering it on heartily 

Tasmanian salmon gravlax with mustard dressing and radish - such a pretty dish!

Scallops wrapped in pancetta with fresh peas, asparagus and a bagna cauda dressing - you can't really go wrong with scallops, especially with the tasty addition of pancetta.

Potato gnocchi with tomato, basil and mussels

This was a beef dish that replaced the lamb in the degustation

Blood orange sorbet - very refreshing and I love blood orange so I was a huge fan of this, it was a nice palate cleanser for the dessert to come:

Chocolate semi freddo with poached cherries 

V's birthday surprise - a beautiful pavlova with a sparkler and her twitter username hehe

It was a lovely way to celebrate, I'll definitely be back when it's my birthday! 

Alio on Urbanspoon

5 comments :

LiLy said...

Niceeeeeeeeee!

Linda V @ Bubble and Sweet said...

What a super yummy and pretty looking dinner.

besosmulticolor said...

Great blog, I´ll follow
xoxo

http://besosmulticolor.blogspot.com/

Tina@foodboozeshoes said...

Love their monthly changing deg - this looks better than the one I had... :)

missklicious said...

LiLy - It was nice!

Linda - It's always a plus when things look amazing on the plate, somehow makes it taste better!

besosmulticolor - Thanks :)

Tina - It's great that the menu changes all the time