Sunday, 15 January 2012

Quarter Twenty One - Westfield Sydney

My mum recently came up to Sydney for a Sunday visit and I wanted to pick somewhere nice for lunch -  frantically trying to find somewhere that was actually open on a Sunday was a challenge, until I remembered walking past Quarter Twenty One once before on a Sunday and it was open. 

Quarter Twenty One is a nice cosy restaurant located on Level 5 of Westfield Sydney.  The focus is on local and in season produce - 'food for the soul' being their motto.

The staff were very friendly and chatty - a pleasant start to the meal.

To start off with - complimentary bread, which came with a side dish of the most delicious whipped butter (I could have eaten it by the spoonful... I later spotted it at the store, but didn't buy it just it case I'd be tempted to haha)

Hellooo butter!

To begin - couldn't go past the beef tartare with grilled toast, quail eggs and mustard

The tartare mixture was packed full of flavour and more toast would have been welcome, but nonetheless it was a nice start to the meal.

Slow cooked poussin, cracked pepper spaetzle, sweet corn, prosciutto, basil and vin jaune

I was really impressed with the flavours of this dish, I love anything with corn, and prosciutto is always delicious so this one was a winner!

Roast skate wing, scallop and crab stuffed courgette flower, fennel & noilly prat

If mains were anything to go by, I had high expectations for the dessert!

Dessert definitely did not disappoint.  Everything sounded amazing on the menu and I had a hard time narrowing it down to these two choices:

Mango and passionfruit bombe, macadamia, yoghurt sorbet

This was the bomb! (lame pun intended haha) my favourite dish of the day.

Souffle du jour - apple and pistachio was the flavour of the day

Petit fours accompanying coffee and tea


Will definitely be back to try out more, desserts especially!

Quarter Twenty One on Urbanspoon

10 comments :

MissPiggy said...

Quarter 21 is on my wishlist - it looks like the bombe (ha ha, get it)?

Corrina said...

Wow it looks and sounds amazing! I wish I didn't live in boring Brisbane :( we have nothingggg lol! All that food looks absolutely incredible :) xx

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

I'm always wanting more crackers/croutes/bread when there's stuff for dipping or to be topped. And it's interesting how a deep-fried quail egg is used, rather than the usual raw one with the tartare.

d said...

The Mango and passionfruit bombe looks exquisite!!

Tina@foodboozeshoes said...

The bombe looks... the bomb...! Lovely to have finally met you at the picnic :)

thanhalang said...

that bomb looks awesome!!!

chocolatesuze said...

woahhh baby the bombe looks amaaazing

mashi said...

The deep fried quail eggs sound amazing. Q21 is on my list to visit.

btw, I’ve just awarded you the Cute Blog Award haha drop by my page to check out the details :)

That Brunette One said...

this food like abs amazeballs!

missklicious said...

MissPiggy - How long is your wishlist? Mine is a mile long and I pretty add new restaurants to it everyday! haha

Corrina - Sydney is definitely spoilt for choice when it comes to dining :)

Rita - There's never enough to finish the dip etc!! It's almost as bad as when you have scones and they give you a tiny amount of jam and cream

d - It was DIVINE!

Tina - it was great meeting you too! Nice to put a face to name :)

thanhalang & chocolatesuze - it was freaking awesome!

mashi - I really like Quarter 21, highly recommended!

That Brunette One - It was!