Sunday, 19 February 2012

Emmilou - Surry Hills, Sydney

I've always wanted to try Emmilou, so I jumped at the chance when I saw this deal on Living Social for a mid-week girly catch up. 

4 courses - I was especially looking forward to the pork belly!

First things first, alcohol! Our waiter brings out some fruity red wine sangria to kick off the night.

 A little starter of gazpacho, which I found surprisingly spicy! It was tasty, but packed quite a punch (maybe because I don't really handle spicy stuff that well)

 Chef's selection of pintxos - drinks were consumed at this stage so I couldn't tell you precisely what these were, except for the fact that they were pretty tasty! Our lovely waiter did explain them, but that kind of went in one ear and out the other... 

Burnt pineapple daiquiri - El Dorado 2 year old white rum shaked vigorously with roasted spices, burnt pineapple and lime - this was sweet and delicious!

Croquetas - King crab and potato croquetas with grain mustard vinaigrette - these are fantastic to have with drinks.

Lady killer - Aperol grapefruit liqeuer, fresh passionfruit and lemon - served in a wine goblet with chopped fruit and soda

Embutidos - Chartecurie board of fine cured meats with sourdough

Itsy Bitsy Tiki - Ron Zacapa 23 year old rum and Marie Brizard apricot brandy, shaken with lychee sorbet, fresh orange and Tahitian lime served in a Tiki mug

16 hour pork belly - with spiced carrot and honey puree and grilled figs.  Hello, crackling! I was pretty tipsy by this point so I conveniently forgot that the carrot was 'spiced' and was confused when my tongue started burning after a mouthful. 

Emmilou also has cocktail specials between 5-7pm, so I'll definitely be back for that!

Emmilou on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

Lisa @ .Simply Me. said...

Oh wow, that looks delicious - especially the cocktails!!! Burnt pineapple daquiri - yum!

I'm running a giveaway if you'd like to enter: http://lisasimplyme.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/first-ever-giveaway.html

Jaztee said...

Mmm looks like a delicious outing!

Vivian - vxdollface said...

hehe in one ear and out the other :P
damn those croquetas look real good and i see you ladies kept the alcohol flowing :) they're cocktails are pretty good though!

Nic@diningwithastud said...

Picky finger food and cocktails - a girls night doesnt get mich better :)

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Woah, that charcuterie plate looks pretty seductive but it's the logs of pork belly that really take the cake!

sugarpuffi said...

wow that pintxos looks amazing!

Chococcuro said...

Wow looks so delicious!!! I wish food in Canberra was as good xD

www.closetvoyage.com

missklicious said...

Lisa - I spotted the burnt pineapple daiquiri on the menu before I went and knew I had to try it!

Jaztee - Cocktails and small plates are always yum!

Vivian - Nothing like a boozy girls night out :P

Nic - Agreed!

Rita - Can't really go wrong with pork belly! Mmmm

sugarpuffi - Perfect with alcohol :D

Chococcuro - Canberra has quite a few nice spots for such a small population!!