Saturday, 22 September 2012

L'ATELIER de Joël Robuchon - Central, Hong Kong

Hong Kong is such a truly amazing food haven where you can take your pick from delicious, cheap hole-in-the-wall joints up to fine dining Michelin star restaurants. On my second day in Hong Kong, I luckily managed to squeeze in a weekday lunch at 3 Michelin star restaurant, L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon.

The restaurant is located in the luxurious Landmark building in Central. Take the escalators up to level 4 and you'll be greeted with the dark and dramatic decor. 

Centre stage of the restaurant is a circular bar overlooking the open kitchen. It's a great idea, as you can see the intricate dishes being plated up. It also allows the staff to serve you the dishes over the counter, instead of navigating behind you.

 Self serve assortment of bread - everything was so mini and cute! The selection included croissants, baguettes, and twists. I didn't catch all of the types of bread on offer, as I had trouble catching up with the waiter's heavy french accent. Had to try and resist gorging on the bread basket and save room for the 4 course meal to come.

For lunch, a choice of a three, four, and five course menu is offered. The items on the menu all sounded very light and summery.

 Amuse bouche - again I didn't quite catch the full description of this appetiser, though from what I understood, the bowl contained a shrimp jelly and the glass, a pea soup.

The shrimp jelly was so flavoursome, bursting with asian flavours. It was refreshing.

This was a chilled soup, the foam making it very light to eat.

The cocktail list is enticing. My selection is the Pinkbird, one of the L'Atelier specials - it was fab!

Lychee mocktail

I was pretty impressed by my cocktail.  It was smooth and fruity, with just the right amount of alcohol.

1st course: entrees 

Le Haricot Vert - green bean mimosa salad with foie gras rolls and parmesan cheese

Le Melon - Charentais melon gazpacho, mascarpone ice-cream flavored with raspberry, Iberico ham

This chilled sweet melon soup was a highlight, and perfectly paired with the deliciously fatty rolls of Iberico ham

2nd course: soup


La courgette violon - smooth zucchini "veloute" and parmesan foam

This soup was amazing. The zucchini veloute came separate and was poured in, quickly sinking to the bottom. The parmesan foam was so rich and creamy, which was balanced out by the sweet and fresh zucchini.  

Le veloute de coco de paimpol - French white bean soup with mousse of "Soubressade" pork sausage and coco bean salad

Loved the three-part presentation of this dish. Robuchon's soups are definitely take them to a whole new level for me. 

3rd course: mains

La volaille - Challans chicken in honey mustard sauce and seasonal mushrooms

Check out those adorable tiny mushrooms!

Le Carabineros - Squid ink, Acini, pasta with tempura of Spain Carabineros prawn

This was my dish, and I had dish envy because I had a taste of the chicken and it was delicious. The tiny pasta actually reminded me of tapioca, which I'm not sure I enjoyed that much.

Insanely creamy mashed potato - this was possibly the best mashed potato I've ever had. This is probably due to the fact that there is a heart stopping amount of butter in there. So much that when it came out, we actually thought that this was a little pot of butter until we looked closer!

4th course: dessert

Dessert was another highlight for me, especially because the options were so fruity, light and summery (which is what I tend to gravitate toward, dessert wise)

La Peche - French white peach compote, verbena jelly and vanilla ice-cream on smooth Tonka cream

A simple, yet fantastic dish. The beautifully sweet white peaches do all the talking. Loved this dessert.

Le Pamplemousse - Grapefruit and refreshing lychee jelly with raspberry mousse and raspberry sorbet

Such a beautifully presented dish, I almost didn't want to ruin it! 

Latte

Petit fours - madeleines, macarons and jellies

Overall, I was very impressed with the dishes. The service was friendly and attentive and the price point is pretty reasonable (4 course meal was $530 HKD per person with 10% service charge, so around $70AUD per person)

2 comments :

mashi said...

OMG Karen, reading your post makes me miss all the glorious food in HK. Loved everything you mentioned above and now I'm tempted to book this for my next trip in HK.

I agree, I feel a bit weird to get wait staff with thick accents to repeat things haha

Btw, if you are still in HK, I recommend Aqua Tokyo/ Aqua Roma. Excellent food and great views xx

missklicious said...

Highly recommend L'Atelier!

I had Aqua Tokyo/Roma on my list, but unfortunately ran out of time - will definitely try it next time!