Wednesday, 5 September 2012

My attempt at home cooking

I'm flying off to Hong Kong tomorrow, so this may be my last post in the next little while. I've been madly trying to finish my first assessment for my new grad certificate unit, busy finalising things at work, last minute packing and now just doing a mental list of all the amazing eats I plan to have in HK! Excitement.

I've been eating out less these days, and instead have been relaxing, cooking and experimenting at home. It's been nice having my own space, and housemate horrors seem all but a distant memory. Also, the winter cold makes you just want to snuggle up on the couch and eat comfort food:
And spend lazy Sunday afternoons downing a whole bottle of bubbly, watching a movie 

DIY sushi - basically grab a square of nori, fill with sushi rice and pick your fillings. Simple but delicious :)


My attempt at Dan Hong's lemongrass chicken recipe - served with tomato rice

I've had many a comment on the moose pasta from Ikea haha

I've also had enough leftovers to take for lunch most of the time, which was great until I moved to the city and there are so many fab options for lunch! 

Paid Eveleigh markets a visit too for some herbs to start off a herb collection

Addicted to Yogurberry in Chatswood - I love their plethora of flavours (blueberry, passionfruit, peach, mango, taro, original, strawberry....) and LOVE how you DIY the froyo and toppings. You can heap them on to your heart's content, and they just charge by weight.


Continuing my love affair of markets - another one of my faves is the Pyrmont Grower's market

That is where I picked up some of these gorgeous cherry blossom (?) looking flowers.  I then looked like a bit of a moron carrying them home via a detour shopping expedition around the city. At least no one wanted to bump into me for fear of getting impaled by my giant bunch of sticks haha

Homemade calamari and grilled scallops after a wander to the fish market - I'm surprised anyone gets out alive from that place on the weekend. It's insane!

This was actually the first thing I made in my new kitchen - hummingbird cake! It was delish, though I really need to work on my icing skills. It's a bit 'rustic'


The Lemon delicious that rose out of control

Kitchenware Direct were kind enough to send me some tumblers and champagne flutes.


You usually associate plastic glasses with being flimsy and disposable, but these are really sturdy, and when I received them, I immediately thought that these tumblers would be perfect for a dessert of some sort.

Champagne flutes, it helps that they are unbreakable, especially after a few wines and you accidentally knock the damn thing over (yes, I speak from experience)

Anyway, back to dessert making.  I whipped up a simple chilled strawberry cheesecake with ingredients already in the fridge and pantry:

Leftover biscuits baked in the oven to use for the base

Elderflower syrup

Which I used to soak my strawberries in

Bsicuit and nut base
And assemble with cheesecake mixture - such a quick and easy dessert (my presentation needs working on, obviously :( :( :( )

3 comments :

ramastar said...

Wow good on you! That food looks delicious!

hollypop said...

i used to buy herbs from that lady at eveleigh all the time!
and chill plants!

memories.

your lemmy delicious looks fab! i made some last night and it was ok but i forgot to add boiling water so there was no sauce. woe!

omg why u have captcha?? D:

Christine @ Cooking Crusade said...

everything looks delicious! that moose pasta from ikea is so cute hehe. love your super cute little desserts too :) have a fab time in HK!