Saturday, 3 November 2012

The Pie Tin & Black Star Pastry - Newtown, Sydney

Vibrant Newtown. I always love going to Newtown, and exploring all the lovely independent bookstores and shops there, not to mention the endless delicious, cheap and cheerful food options that are dotted all along King Street and beyond. 

The Pie Tin is located on Brown Street, a shop front I remember because it used to be where Pretty Dog (fashion boutique) were located. 

The Pie Tin has a very casual feel to it, where you just go up to the counter, place your order and grab any free seat. They have a big communal table in the middle, very well stocked with magazines and other reading material. 

The selection of savoury and sweet pies are quite extensive, and it seems that they vary the menu daily.

Pie tin table number
Communal table


I chose the slow roasted shredded pork with apple and BBQ sauce - hearty filling with chunks of shredded pork, and a side of homestyle potato mash and coleslaw (love the selection of side dishes too! including kumera mash which I'd definitely try next time)
Brown butter pecan pie with ice cream


While in Newtown, can't go past the famous strawberry & watermelon cake at Black Star Pastry


The Pie Tin on Urbanspoon

Black Star Pastry on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

thanhalang said...

nice choices! they are some of my favourite places of newtown!

Tina @ bitemeshowme said...

the pie tin is amazing. Love nearly everything in there. Very affordable too. If I worked near there I know where I'd be every lunch. I've only had the watermelon cake from Black Star and my god, that blew my socks off!

Food is our religion said...

man i've been dying to visit this place! still drooling!

missklicious said...

thanhalang - Iove newtown, so many fab eats!

tina - the watermelon cake was amazeballs, really enjoyed the pie tin too

food is our religion - go go go!! so worth it