Monday, 31 December 2012

2013

Wow, this year has seriously flown past in the blink of an eye. I know it feels that way pretty much every year now, but this year especially, it's been a whirlwind of a year.

I think it's a great idea to write down my thoughts and aspirations for the year to come, mainly so that I can look back the next year and see how I've done!

It feels like the best and the worst year, and one where I've learnt a lot about myself and many lessons along the way.

I had a few things I wanted to achieve in 2012 - as it always turns out, things don't always go according to plan :P

On my quest to improve my salsa, my avid advanced salsa dancing housemate decided to give me private lessons, though she needed to find a guy that was also a good dancer to help. Of course she had to pick the most snobby (avoided beginner dancers) and stand-offish person, whom I'd had the displeasure of being pushed to dance with him by said housemate, and it was a pretty horrible experience as a beginner dancer.

Of course, like a cheesy romantic comedy, we got to know each other, got on like a house on fire, and that was that. We explored, constantly laughed until it hurt, and just enjoyed each other's company. Those who know me, will know how that turned out, but nonetheless, it will always a time that I will cherish always.

So the first lesson(s) for me was not to judge a book by it's cover (I think I do this pretty well already) and the best things happen when you least expect it to.

Another thing was to really appreciate and be grateful for everything in my life - which I know seems like a pretty easy thing but at times, I simply forgot to do.

One of the major things on my list to achieve was to travel.

This year started off nicely with a girly trip to Byron Bay, soaking in the sunshine, carefree lifestyle and  indulging in the best smoothie store and falafels I've ever had.

I spent the first half of the year dancing as much as possible, sometimes every week night of a given week, and improved a lot (though at the expense of proper sleep!) It's always easier when you have someone to motivate you do so, and I had that with my housemate, who became over 2012 one of my best friends, though she moved away mid-year, I will cherish all our dinner dates, dancing salsa til 1am and so many deep and meaningful chats at home.

April travel was a Easter break to Newcastle and the lovely Hunter Valley - always a nice getaway!

May was my trip to Bali, to attend a family friend's wedding. Such an amazing place with beautiful people.

I think around mid-year things started to go downhill for me, nothing major, but I was just exhausted and pretty miserable to be around. Work was moving, I was looking for a new place to live/moving/settling into my new place, things were just 'meh' - I felt lazy and unmotivated, and was too much in my comfort zone and unfortunately, this reflected onto a lot of other areas in my life.

I went on holidays in September, and this was a much needed break. I went to Hong Kong and South Korea and came back refreshed and relaxed, though since then, the last few months have been a bit of a blur.

2013 goals
Finish my graduate certificate by the end of the year - Postgrad studies was on my 2012 list, so I'm pretty happy that I actually followed through and applied. It's been challenging yet great so far.

Volunteer - have signed up to volunteer at Sydney Colour Run, so that's a start for the new year!
One of my other goals in 2012 was to volunteer. This didn't really happen, except a visit to walk the doggies at Monika's Doggie Rescue, so this is something I can work on in 2013!

Learn a new language - this was on my list for 2012, though I never signed up for any classes. It's still something that I'd love to get around to doing. Must sign up for classes in 2013.

Expand on fashion interest/sell at markets/etsy was another 2012 goal. I still have to figure this one out as it requires a fair bit of business planning. In the meantime, I'm just having fun dabbling in making things during my spare time.

Learn to paint - this is another thing I'd love to squeeze into my ever expanding list of things to do.

Exercise and eating in moderation - moderation sounds like a dirty word, being a food blogger and all :P but lately I've been logging my food intake with My Fitness Pal and have been really conscious of all the crap I seem to eat without realising it! I'm really looking forward to doing new classes (more fun than the gym!) improve my rock climbing, and trying some new things (pole dancing or yoga, perhaps?)

Other than that, I just want to always keep trying new things and be thankful and grateful for the things I have and the wonderful people in my life.

Happy 2013 everyone! Hope you all have a fabulous one!! x






3 comments :

Vivian - vxdollface said...

yes to pole dancing! i will join with you haha :)

may your 2013 be even better babe x

chocolatesuze said...

happy new year!

missklicious said...

happy new year guys!!

viv - yeah! let's do it :)