Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Chin Chin - Flinders Lane, Melbourne CBD

Chin Chin was one of the many places on my Melbourne to eat list. With the rave reviews and reports of crazy waits for dinner, I took the smart option and opted for a super early weekday lunch. 

As soon you as you walk in the door, you are greeted by the colourful and quirky wallpaper. It reminds me a lot of Ms G's in Sydney, especially the fresh and modern take on asian food. 

Unfortunately, due to gorging myself during this Melbourne trip, I could only handle a light lunch. Luckily, Chin Chin is perfect for this, with a lot of smaller, share type dishes on offer. 

Chin Chin menu

We were so early that we had the whole restaurant to ourselves! (judging from the reviews, this seems to be quite a rarity)

Chin Chin pork "roll ups" - red braised suckling pig with pancakes, slaw and asian herbs

Simple but very lovely and fresh due to the herbs - would have loved a bit of crunch from some crackling or the like, but otherwise these were quite good. 


Spicy corn and coriander fritters - with iceberg lettuce and chilli jam

These were deliciously crunchy on the outside and so moreish. 

Chinese style egg drop soup - with pork and chive dumplings, spring onion, cabbage and chilli oil

The soup is flavoursome and light, with a healthy kick of spice given by the chilli oil

Loved the use of fresh herbs throughout and quite enjoyed our selection of dishes, though don't think I would line up hours on end for it. 


Posting this makes me want to go back to Melbourne ASAP! 

Chin Chin on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Missy Piggy said...

The places is EMPTY! WHAT? As you know we went for a 4.30pm dinner the other night and the place was nearly food...crazy, but it's so delish I can see why.

Tina @ bitemeshowme said...

I cannot wait to go here in MArch. Yayyyyyyyy!! The pork roll ups look so delish!

The Kara K Project said...

CHIN CHINNNNNN!
I love love LOVE this place!
I've never been for lunch but looks like ill be doing that next!
Great post :)
- KK

missklicious said...

Miss Piggy - so it seems the time to go, if you want the place to yourself, is 11:30am on a weekday, when it's raining :P

Tina - I would love to go back and try out more of the menu!

The Kara K Project - Lunch definitely seems like a less crazy and crowded option!

Gourmet Getaways - Reminds me a lot of Ms G's in Sydney :)