Tuesday, 19 March 2013

Gratitude

As some of you may know via my tweets, I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy last Sunday. 

During the week before, I had been feeling pretty run down, tired and had pain the right side of my neck that wouldn't go away. By Saturday night, I couldn't sleep because of the pain, and woke up the next morning with my face feeling a little different.

Since it was a Sunday, my only option was a medical centre, and the doctor said I had a throat infection and gave me antibiotics to take, insisting that once the infection went down, the feeling in my face would also go.

It didn't sound right, and I felt worse the next day so went to see another doctor, who then diagnosed Bell's Palsy, which is basically inflammation of the facial nerve causing one side of your face to be paralysed. It's been a week and after quite a bit of medication and acupuncture, I haven't seen any improvement yet, but I am hopeful.

It really makes me appreciate all the wonderful people that I have in my life, and all the beautiful things in everyday life that we usually take for granted - smiling, laughing, enjoying a meal, tasting, being able to express yourself, being able to go out without feeling self conscious. 

I'm grateful to have a really caring and understanding workplace - my manager and workmates have been checking up on me, making sure I'm ok and offering their time to accompany me to appointments and even just for company which I think is so kind. 

I'm grateful for family, who is always source of strength and constant comfort no matter what.

My best friend always manages to cheer me up when I'm feeling down or have negative thoughts, always there to listen to whatever I have to say and just be there anytime.

Last but not least, the person that has bore the brunt of most of this - the boyfriend. He has been so caring and amazing throughout this whole time. Words don't even begin to explain.

 The past couple of weeks, I've learnt that it's easy to get caught up with doing things, checking off things off the list, but all we really need to do sometimes is to slow down, relax and enjoy the moment that we are in. 


11 comments :

OohLookBel said...

Hope you recover soon, sweetie. Sounds like lots of people care for you =)

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery! I know of two people who have had Bells Palsy and both are now fine. I am sure you will recover soon :)

That Brunette One said...

Keep positive and I hope for a speedy recovery :) Just remember your family and friends will always be there for support to try to stay positive.. Thinking of you x

Sherrie Huang said...

Take time to relax so you can recover - wishing you all the best! x

missklicious said...

Thanks so much everyone!! :)

Thanh @ spoonfulsofgoodness said...

I hope you recovery well! Just stay positive, and know that they are always people out there who care for you! =)

jack said...

Hope you feel better soon! Keep up the positive attitude and you'll be better in no time :)

panda said...

hey chick, really sorry to hear. All the best to a speedy recovery!

Vivian - vxdollface said...

*hugs*

missklicious said...

Thanks, everyone :) Much appreciated!

Tina @ bitemeshowme said...

Thoughts are with you sweetie. All the best with your recovery xo