Sunday, 3 March 2013

House Thai - Surry Hills, Sydney


House is a restaurant from the Spice I am team with a north-east thai street food twist. We all commonly know thai food as containing a lot of coconut milk, but the dishes at House focus on a Isaan style menu with a lot of spicy salads and grilled meats.  They also tend to be drier (not like the saucy curries we've been accustomed to)

I think I'm a creature of habit when it comes to thai food, so I have to admit that I had a bit of trouble deciding on what dishes to order, as they didn't have any of the typical dishes that I usually choose. I definitely looked forward to trying the BTS dessert though!

Very quick and efficient, the dishes came out in no time.

Larb Nua - Traditional Isaan salad of minced beef with eschalots, shallots, vietnamese coriander, mint, ground roasted rice, ground chilli and lime


Nua Yang Jim Jaew - Char grilled marinated beef served with Jim-Jaew dipping sauce

This was my favourite dish out of the three, with the tender beef having an intensely smoky flavour.

Aorm Gai - chicken curry with dill, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaf, galangal, garlic, eschalots, shallots, Thai eggplant, pumpkin, Thai lemon basil and choy sum.

BTS (Better Than Sex) - Toasted brioche served with pandan coconut gelato, topped with Thai caramel sauce and roasted black & white sesame seeds

A pretty decadent dessert and best shared! 

House on Urbanspoon

10 comments:

retrodaze said...

I've always gone past this place and never eaten inside - looks like their food is yummy, especially that beef salad!

Sherrie Huang said...

Love the better than sex dessert! So extremely rich and decadent... Almost too sweet, almost :P

That Brunette One said...

That food looks so freaking good!!

excusemewaiter said...

Interesting looking dessert! The rest of the savoury dishes look tasty too :)

Vivian - vxdollface said...

Yeah! I wouldn't know what to choose either but it looks like you chose some pretty yummy dishes :) I hate that theyre cash only cause I only ever have card on me when I walk past :/

Missy Piggy said...

I had real trouble deciding what to order here too - especially as I wasn't eating meat at the time and nearly everything had meat in it. I was expecting lots of tofu dishes like a 'regular' Thai joint...silly me. I liked the ice-dessert, a bit like Cendol, but different.

I\'m Still Hungry said...

Better than sex - good name! Seems to be fairly yummy too and a Thai dessert I've never had before!

That caramel sauce must be godly...

milkteaxx said...

this place looks lovely! the dessert looks and sounds amazing!

Alina Anghel said...

the food looks delicious! xx

The Provocative Couture

missklicious said...

retrodaze - It's a little bit different from the usual thai fare, but I like the courtyard spot for a nice lunch :)

Sherrie - hehe, best shared!

That Brunette One - It is delish :)

excusemewaiter - the savoury dishes were quite interesting too, compared to the regular thai dishes

Viv - it's annoying when some places don't take cards! Esp for lunch since my atm is a 10 min walk away

Miss Piggy - Shame that they didn't have many vego options, esp since thai is usually a fail safe option to take my vego friends.

Alina - It was!