Saturday, 4 May 2013

Jap's Table - Darlington, Sydney


After hearing about Jap's Table and it having the best yakitori in Sydney, I had to pay a visit. Located in Darlington, it's a little out of the way, but well worth it to be greeted by a bustling shopfront and a menu bursting with all the regular Japanese delights, in particular yakitori and ramen. 


Hand written menu

Specials of the day

The menu is filled with lots of smaller sized dishes, which I love the idea of, as it means we can order and try more things. 

Complimentary starter of chicken skin

This is an interesting way to start the meal, with a small bowl of chicken skin. Not quite the crispy variety, I'm afraid, it has more of a rubbery texture which takes some getting used to. 

Wagyu beef yakitori

The wagyu beef yakitori, on the other hand, is a pleasure to eat with a wonderfully smoky flavour.

Jap's Table zensai

which is basically an entree with a bit of everything include sliced pork, egg and some vegetables

Mushroom lover

The aptly named mushroom lover is a lovely mixture of oyster, button, chinese and enoki mushrooms in a clear broth.

Beef tendon

Half serve Yokohama ramen

The ramen broth was quite light in flavour with the noodles a tad too soft. I like how you can order half serves of the ramen dishes as I can't usually finish a whole one.
Celery and chicken thigh skewer 

So tender and with a deliciously smoky flavour from the charcoal. Definitely one of the best yakitori I've had in Sydney!

Jap's Table on Urbanspoon

11 comments:

Sherrie Huang said...

Mm, those yakitori sticks look so good :D One bowl of ramen is indeed a tad too big so half serve ramen is the way to go!

Missy Piggy said...

Looks like you went for dinner as you've tried loads of dishes that I've not seen on the lunch menu before. Love this place...I can easily finish a full sized ramen AND sushi! LOL.

missklicious said...

Sherrie - Definitely one of the better yakitori places that I've tried!

Miss Piggy - Yes, I went for dinner! haha I find that I get more hungry at lunch time compared to dinner. Didn't realise that the menu is more extensive during dinner

Shanshan Lam said...

me want those chicken skewers! they looks so good!

Tina said...

Oooh, half serve ramen is clever!

nessyeater said...

*insert belly rumbling* those skewers are making me hungry! And the Yokohama ramen is perfect for today’s weather :D

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Have gone past this spot several times and love how humble it looks. The outdoor set-up of his charcoal grill is so endearing too!

Imogen said...

I've never been here but I totally must check it out, always looking for new places.

Next Stop: Food said...

Oohh ... i was all excited seeing the crispy chicken skin and then even more happy with the word "complimentry" (who doesnt love FREE things?!)
then... your mention of it not being crispy made me a little disheartened :(
haha!

- Cassie

Vivian - vxdollface said...

all those yakitori skewers look so goooood!

Imogen said...

following you now too