Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Yebisu Izakaya - Regent Place, Sydney

Regent place is a hive of activity since all the new restaurants have opened. One of the latest places that I was keen to try was Yebisu Izakaya, another Japanese restaurant addition, in the location where Azuma Kushiyaka used to be.

It's the opening week and the crowds are already amassing and it's about a ten minute wait for a table at the long bar area, overlooking the kitchen. 

The ordered system is via a touch screen ipad. I like this as it means I can browse as quick or long as I want, and there's pictures too.

Yebisu is also home to a good range of craft beers and sake.

I was super intrigued about this tom yum goong sushi roll, but alas, was not game enough to give it a go. 

Lotus root chips

One of my favourite snacks to have with drinks are lotus root chips. Moreish, though I did wish they were a tad crispier. 

Tempura white tail

Chicken tsukune with poached egg

Yebisu has an abundance of yakitori on their menu, and these chicken meatballs are tasty, especially dunked into the side dish of runny poached egg.

Omurice

Yebisu's omurice was disappointing as it was just essential a bowl of rice with filling and an omelette placed on top. 

Chicken yakitori

These were tasty and I'd have to say that I think the skewers are probably the best thing I tried on the menu. I wasn't at all impressed with my visit to Yebisu. Perhaps this has to do with the dishes ordered, but I do think there are a lot of better options out there.

Yebisu Izakaya on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Sherrie Huang said...

I've heard lots of differences in opinions about this place. Though Japanese can rarely go eeextremely wrong! Lotus chips are the best! So addictive :D

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Loved the tsukune when we were here - and such a taste sensation when you dunk them into the runny egg yolk!

Tina @ bitemeshowme said...

a couple of others have also had the same experience as you. what a real shame because the place really looks amazing!

missklicious said...

Sherrie - I would think the experience really depends on what you order! I would stick with the yakitori and drinks

Helen - Such a great idea serving it with the egg!

Tina - It's a fab location so shame that it isn't 100% there

Vivian - vxdollface said...

ha ha ha.. the tom yum sushi isn't worth trying.. couldn't even finish it >_< neither could my friend!