Monday, 2 September 2013

Izakaya Fujiyama - Surry Hills, Sydney

Surry Hills is such a concentrated area of brilliant restaurants. Izakaya Fukiyama is one of those restaurants that I've heard numerous rave reviews, but had only finally gotten around to trying.


Izakaya Fujiyama is a Japanese is a izakaya serving a range of dishes to be served with their impressive range of important beer and sake. 

An izakaya is typically a drinking establishment that serves dishes to accompany the drinks. We get in early on a Monday night (no lines!) and pull up a seat at the bar to gain a view of all the kitchen, and chef Kenji, at work. 

Indecisiveness kicks in, so a bowl of edamame is just the distraction needed to narrow down the menu choices.

Suntory Premium Malts

K was lucky enough to get a taste of this as there were only 3 bottles left, out of the several hundred bottles that Izakaya Fujiyama had received of this limited beer.

Yuzu umeshu

This was my drink of choice and I absolutely loved the tangy citrus flavour of the yuzu. This went down extremely well and does not taste alcoholic at all. 

Kenji fried chicken

Delicious deep fried nuggets of chicken with spicy mayo. Heavenly! 

Braised Wagyu oxtail with carrot & gobo

I wasn't sure what to expect with this dish, but it blew me away. The oxtail was impressive - full of flavour and perfectly paired with the citrus flavoured carrot, which helped cut the richness of the oxtail. The small serving is deceiving as it is a very filling dish.

Japanese potato salad

I cannot resist getting japanese potato salad whenever I see it on the menu. Izakaya fujiyama's version is a little chunkier than the usual, but tasty nonetheless, with a healthy dose of chives to freshen it up.

Interesting to see a red rice beer on the menu! K was intrigued and had to give it a go. The verdict? Interesting to try but the Suntory won out in flavour.


Tuna belly Sanzoku

The tuna belly comes out skin down on a sizzling hot stone plate. Dodge the hot oil splatter and you'll be rewarded with smokey, fatty pieces of tuna belly. 

Dessert special

Though I was drawn to the snickers dessert, I couldn't decide between that and the dessert special. I ended up going with the special as I figured I can always go back for the snickers other time. This dessert consisted of chocolate cake, some poached quince and a rather lovely earl grey tea ice cream.

A nice and light dessert, with the highlight being the earl grey tea ice cream (one of my favourite teas!)

Highly recommend Izakaya Fujiyama for their  super tasty small dishes and an impressive sake and beer range to wash it all down with.


Dessert special


Izakaya Fujiyama on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

Sherrie Huang said...

Whoa braised wagyu oxtail! It looks amazing!

Tina said...

Love love live this place

Mr C @ The Food Diary said...

Oh wow I like the expansive sake/beers they seem to have! Looks like they have some really interesting drinks.

Tina @ bitemeshowme said...

I've definitely been meaning to visit.. but I haven't found the right occassion yet!

ChopinandMysaucepan said...

Dear Karen,

I have read some good things about this restaurant especially their giant tuna collar.

The oxtail looks good and I'm sure it was melting tender.

Shanshan Lam said...

ohh i've been wanting to check this out for a while but have never had the chance! it looks really good!

Karen Ng said...

It was a fabulous meal, definitely worth a visit!