Saturday, 7 September 2013

Le Pub - King Street, Sydney CBD

The spectacular weather we have been experiencing of late has been welcomed by open arms. Gone are the cold nights where the hobo-esque layers are donned, cocooning myself in the blanket at any opportunity, and forcibly attempting to warm my freezing hands and feet on the (unfortunate soul) boyfriend. 

Warmer weather means it's pleasant enough to go out and have a dinner date night. 

Le Pub seems to be a relatively new venue that has popped up recently. A casual Parisian styled bistro, it's a great spot to drop by for some dinner after work. 

We made a booking via their online booking system, but there's no need on a weekend as it was not a full house on our Saturday night visit. I'd hazard a guess and say that they are busier on weekdays due to the after work crowd.

The menu has a french influence with staple items such as escargots featuring on it.

Escargots de Bourgongne

Snails, garlic, fresh herb butter & baguette

There was a slight mix-up with the staff initially informing us that they were out of escargots, and then coming back to tell us that they actually had them. Luckily, as the snails are pretty good, though I guess I'm more a fan of the fragrant, garlicky butter sauce more than the snails itself. I wish there was more baguette served with this dish to soak up the sauce, as the two small pieces were not nearly enough.

Digging in :)

The staff also forgot to give us the small forks to get the escargots out of the shell, so we were left sitting for a couple of minutes, wondering how we were going to get the suckers out. After asking them, the waiter was extremely apologetic. 

Steak et Poivre

350 gram ribeye cutlet with cafe de paris and frites, 150 days grain fed, Darling Downs QLD

The steak was cooked to perfection, with the knife barely having to be used. I tasted a couple of pieces of this and really enjoyed the flavoursome and tender meat. 

Confit de Canard

Confit of duck leg, roast beetroot, puy lentils and carrot puree. Crisp duck paired with sweet beetroot, carrot and lentils - a great combination. I never used to be a fan of lentils, but as of late have been enjoying them as I eat them frequently as a fabulous filler to some really tasty salads. 

Souffle glace aux fraises

Marked as an iced strawberry souffle on the menu, this is probably best described as a prettied up strawberry ice cream. 

The 'souffle' looks cute but I don't think it warrants the price tag, and would probably either try one of the other desserts (such as the crumble) or skip it altogether. 

Other than that, I think Le Pub is a great little spot to drop in for dinner. The steak received rave reviews. We used an entertainment book voucher so ended up getting one main for free. I also spotted a deal where if you dine in on Monday-Thursdays and order before 6pm, you can get 20% off. Not a bad deal at all!


Le Pub on Urbanspoon

10 comments:

Sherrie Huang said...

How good is the confit duck :D And man that steak looks melt in the mouth!

chocolatesuze said...

oooh that duck sounds awesome!

Joan said...

French food always gets me tingling so I was excited when I saw this post because I've never heard of Le Pub before. But then the iffy service got me a bit "hmmm", especially paired with the disappointing souffle. Is the steak good enough for Le Pub to warrant a spot on my food hitlist?

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

lol i think everyone orders the snails primarily for the excuse to drink lashings of garlic butter! the steak looks impressive too!

Tina @ bitemeshowme said...

loving the look of that steak! WOW!

Amy zhong said...

the confit duck leg gets me every time! deliciousness!

Annie said...

would love to take a bite of that confit duck :p

Tina said...

Looks like some great classic bistro fare. I've been for drinks and nibbles but now really want to eat there properly. A bit of an odd dessert though...

Nic@diningwithastud said...

Lucky you got the forks. I was imagining a Pretty Woman moment there. "Slippery little suckers" lol

Karen Ng said...

Sherrie - It was melt in the mouth!!

chocolatesuze - the duck was so tasty

joan - the service was nice enough, just that they forgot the forks. I think it's worth a try :)

Helen - that's so true! haha

Tina - steak was so good!

Amy, Annie - duck is almost always guaranteed to be good!

Tina - Such a great place for casual drinks & bites or dinner, have to agree about the dessert - not their strong point. I'd stick with mains/entrees next time

Nic - Haha! Made for a funny moment :)