Monday, 11 November 2013

The Conservatory Restaurant - National Arboretum, Canberra

I have to admit that I have been slack with the Canberra visits during the winter months. Do you really blame me? It gets way too cold, that there is zero incentive to go out and try all the fabulous places that have popped up anyway.

So, well into spring, I planned a long overdue trip down. One of the places I wanted to check out, was The Conservatory Restaurant at the National Arboretum, not only to try out the food, but for the gorgeous views. 

Newly opened, the National Arboretum is home to 94 forests of rare, endangered and symbolic trees from Australia.

The village centre houses the restaurant cafe, information centre, the cutest playground and a souvenir shop. It is also the hub where the guided tours depart. I'm marking this down as a future bushwalking and picnicking spot!

Latte

We enjoy a leisurely Sunday brunch here. The restaurant area is actually quite small, and is just a area closed off on a corner of the main building. Bookings are definitely recommended as a few people were turned away without one.


Coconut bread

My mum opts for a lighter breakfast and chooses the coconut bread. It's warm from being lightly toasted and served with a sprinkle of icing sugar.

Ricotta hotcakes with banana and honeycomb

I go for the more decadent brunch option of the hotcakes. The description sounds very much like the ones at Bills, though they don't quite hit the mark.

The breakfast here is decent, but nothing spectacular, though I still think it's worth a visit for the beautiful views before exploring the arboretum. 




Conservatory Restaurant on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

The ricotta hotcakes do sound very familiar! The coconut bread looks lovely too.

Sherrie Huang said...

I would totally fall into ordering the coconut bread too - I'm a sucker for anything coconut!

Vivian - vxdollface said...

The views are great!

Magpie said...

They both look dry to me - no sauces?