Monday, 2 December 2013

Dog Dog Japon - George Street, Sydney

Dog Dog Japon was the perfect quick and casual joint to grab a bite to eat before heading off to catch a movie. Located in the building that also houses fellow Japanese cheap eat, Mappen, it's basically a hole in the wall with various kinds of Japanese style hot dogs.
It's not too busy early on in the night, and whilst we order at the counter and pay, several of the seats are taken up by Mappen customers. Dog Dog Japon, along with Mappen and Oiden are run by the same group, hence the table sharing.

Hot dog menu and counter


Okonomiyaki hot dog

There are the stock standard hot dog offerings and some that are downright strange. I opt for somewhere inbetween, with a okonomiyaki inspired hot dog. 

Hamburg hot dog

Japanese style hamburger patty in a hot dog version

Chips with wasabi mayo

The wasabi mayo really packed a punch, as it was heavy on the wasabi. Good for clearing the nasal passages, though I find myself scraping it off halfway through as it is too much.

Overall, a good place to grab a cheap and speedy snack, but I found the hot dogs on the strange side - I much prefer the traditional version.


Dog Dog Japon on Urbanspoon

8 comments :

Tina said...

Hm, I don't like normal hotdogs so perhaps I will like this... :) I didn't love Chanoma's hotdogs though.

Sherrie Huang said...

I'm interested in trying out for of these Japanese hot dogs! Maybe if I find one in Japan right now, it'd be much better than the Sydney equivalent? We'll see!

Tina @ bitemeshowme said...

i didn't realise this place existed! to be frank i haven't tried any jap hot dogs yet, but perhaps i shall!

Vivian - vxdollface said...

very interesting, how have I not seen this O_o is it right next to mappen?

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Wasabi mayo chips sound tasty! We walked past this place after dinner so didn't have room for a dog, but the menu variations do look like fun!

Karen N said...

Tina - I'm not a massive fan of hot dogs either, and wouldn't go out of my way to have one. I love a sausage sizzle though!

Sherrie - ooh, I'm sure the japan version would be much better!

Tina - it is a little bit hidden! plus mappen next door is way more popular

Viv - Yep! Almost next door, across the walkway

Helen - they were, but the wasabi was so strong!

Karen N said...

Tina - I'm not a massive fan of hot dogs either, and wouldn't go out of my way to have one. I love a sausage sizzle though!

Sherrie - ooh, I'm sure the japan version would be much better!

Tina - it is a little bit hidden! plus mappen next door is way more popular

Viv - Yep! Almost next door, across the walkway

Helen - they were, but the wasabi was so strong!

Ramen Raff said...

Errmahgerrd! I'm a sucker for chips with wasabi mayo! I love the sound of a Jap burger in a hotdog bun too!