Saturday, 25 January 2014

Dessert-ing in Hong Kong

I'm already missing the ability to stroll downstairs at midnight and having a plethora of dessert options at my disposal.

On our first couple of nights, we found this little dessert shop a quick stroll from our initial hotel in Mong Kok. It was packed out most of the time, getting busier as the night progressed - not to worry though, as more customers came, the staff simply added more tables and chairs outside. 

Honeydew melon and grass jelly sago

Mango and passionfruit cheesecake

Mango napoleon 

Mixed fruit sago with ice cream

Mango and coconut rolls

These were like a dessert version of the steamed rice rolls that you get in yum.

Mango and pomelo coconut sago

This is probably my favourite asian dessert of all time - can't go past the mango and coconut combination, with a hit of pomelo!

Another dessert place I frequently visited was the ever popular Hui Lau Shan. Since it was located almost everywhere, it was a great option for a much needed sit down, after walking all day.

Watermelon and aloe jelly drink

Mango mania

This was a nice little sampler of everything mango - basically what you go to Hui Lau Shan for, anything mango!

Another popular chain we went to a few times was Honeymoon dessert. Not as numerous as Hui Lau Shan, the only ones I noticed were in Harbour City in TST and Langham Place in Mong Kok.

Mango and grass jelly sago

Strawberry sago

This one was a bit too artificial tasting for my liking. 

I didn't realise that I had actually eaten so much dessert until after reading this post, considering that there a handful of ones that I didn't post - I pretty much had dessert every day! (sometimes twice) I think the great thing with Hong Kong is that you can pick almost anywhere to eat and it will be guaranteed to be fairly good.

2 comments :

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Love all the late night eating options in HK but also slightly dismayed that the whole dessert-in-a-jar concept has also hit there too!

Karen N said...

yes, it was interesting to see! though the dessert in a jar doesn't seem to be that common there