Wednesday, 16 December 2015

Automata - Chippendale, Sydney

Chippendale has really come to life over the past few months with many new additions, including Automata. The space is contemporary with machinery fittings being a regular theme throughout the restaurant.

The seating on ground level is mainly communal, so be prepared to get cosy with your dining neighbours. 

I never need much convincing when it comes to a good cocktail list. I can't remember exactly what this was called, but it was some kind of sour, and very good. 

Grilled gem lettuce with violet mustard and chives + fried fish skin
We start off with a plate of snacky things, including grilled pieces of gem lettuce and tasty fried fish skin.

Stracciatella, grilled peach, kelp oil and sea blite

I was torn on this dish; I loved the creamy and stretchy cheese and grilled peach, it was such a fantastic combination. The sea blite also added a nice crunch to the dish. 

However, I wasn't sold on the addition of kelp oil; it added a strong sea flavour to the dish, which unfortunately didn't do it for me. 

The complimentary bread served with whipped Pepe Saya butter + anchovy and chicken jus is absolutely delightful. We don't think twice when the waitstaff offer to bring out another serving.

Blue mackerel, red onion, kombu butter and dill

This was my favourite dish of the night; the mackerel is flavoursome and cooked to perfection. 

Lamb heart, green sauce, cumin and fennel

I'll be honest and say this dish was the least appealing to me from the get go, but I was willing to throw out my preconceptions and give it a go. Verdict? I did not enjoy this dish as I couldn't go past the rubbery texture of the heart. 

Wagyu intercostal, dill pickle and turnip

The wagyu intercostal was a nice finishing point for the savoury dishes. 

Walnut ice cream, aged mirin and blood plum

The walnut ice cream had a nice and nutty texture, and was served with freeze dried plum and aged mirin. For me this dessert was just okay; I didn't see how all the elements combined together.

Overall, I'd have to unfortunately say this meal didn't surpass my relatively high expectations of the place (from the glowing reviews). I love the space and the feel of the restaurant, but the food was hit and miss for me. 

You can book a table at Automata online here

Automata Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments :