Thursday, 3 December 2015

White Taro - Surry Hills, Sydney

Another day, another newly opened Surry Hills cafe to check out. This time it's White Taro on Albion street; a lovely little spot with a menu offering cafe fare with a Vietnamese twist. 

Macchiato

The coffee here is from one of my favourites, Pablo and Rustys. My macchiato is smooth and full-bodied. 

Bo Kho baked eggs

I definitely feel that the breakfast menu does not compare to the dishes offered at lunch; I find myself wishing that White Taro offered it's lunch offerings earlier. (all day breakfast menu for the win!) Having said that, my choice for breakfast, the Bo Kho, was absolutely delicious. The hearty Vietnamese beef stew hybrid with baked eggs, was served with a warm and crusty baguette; the ultimate comfort food. 

Having salivated over the lunch menu, I end up paying another visit a week later. 

Energizer juice

White Taro have freshly squeezed juices, which is a bonus. I order the refreshing Energizer with beetroot, apple, carrot and celery. 

Deconstructed banh mi

The deconstructed banh mi consists of crispy roast pork belly, house made chutney, crunchy veggie pickles, spiced kumquat butter, kimchi, chicken orange pate, served with freshly baked baguette. Whilst this is a very pretty dish, there was nothing that stood out for me. 

Viet skewer chicken on brioche

The vietnamese skewer chicken burger on the other hand, was super tasty. Served with a choice of chips or salad (chips, of course!), the burger is served with juicy chicken skewers, green papaya and mango, herbs, grains and seeds on a black brioche bun.

Highly recommend getting in early for weekend lunch as there is limited seating, and it was packed during my last visit.

White Taro Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments :